Ask and you shall receive! Just a few days after I was whining about California not having enough fall weather, we got clouds, chill, AND rain – it’s a Halloween miracle! I took full advantage of the full inch of rain to make some comforting, carby pasta.
For the most part, this recipe isn’t terrible for you. For one, it has spinach and whole wheat pasta, so it’s basically a health food. Also, there’s no heavy cream, just a combo of milk and reduced fat cream cheese (and mozzarella…. and parmesan… but hey, it’s not bikini season anymore, right??).
Spinach & Mushroom Cheesy Pasta
- 1 lb of pasta
- 12 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzerrella
- shredded parmesan for serving
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil water and salt generously. Cook pasta of your choice to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, use a large skillet to cook 4 slices of bacon until crispy
- Drain some of the excess fat from the bacon, leaving some for sauteing the mushrooms and onions.
- Saute the onions, garlic, and mushrooms until tender, add a pinch of salt to draw some liquid out of the mushrooms
- Add milk and cream cheese to sauteed mushrooms and onions, along with basil, oregano, thyme, and a pinch of crushed red pepper
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the sauce, the starch from the pasta will aid in thickening the sauce
- Stir in mozzarella so it combines with the pasta and sauce to make it extra creamy, season with salt & pepper to taste, and serve with some fresh parm!