Meatless Monday is something I started as my New Year’s resolution this year back in January. It’s healthier for you (and healthier for the planet) to cut meat out of your diet one day a week, so I figured why not? I’ve actually really enjoyed it so far, I find it helps me eat a lot healthier for the remainder of the week, and I don’t miss the meat that much (except for holidays, like Memorial Day when I
devoured accidentally ate a chicken wing).
Even during our move to California I was able to keep up with it, and obviously once we got here and settled it’s become much easier. California is known for having tons of vegetarian and vegan options, and for its fresh, local produce which I am trying to take full advantage of. This week’s Meatless Monday is a delicious wrap of beautiful colorful veggies.
My weekdays are pretty packed, I get up for work at 5:30 in the morning and don’t get home until around 6:30 at night. On top of that I typically walk the dog and workout after work, making dinner time pretty late in our house – so I need my lunches and weeknight dinners to be as easy and portable as possible. And what’s easier and more portable than a wrap?
You can use whichever veggies you prefer or whatever’s in season, just don’t forget the cream cheese spread! It’s supremely delicious, made with reduced fat cream cheese, and will give you a little bit of protein to keep you full.
- Veggies of your choice, cut into matchsticks if needed (I used carrots, celery, red cabbage, yellow peppers, red peppers, and spinach)
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Tortilla of your choice (I used flour, but spinach would be awesome, or even rice paper!)
- To make the cream cheese spread, warm the cream cheese in the microwave to make it easier to work with then add in all of the ingredients into a small bowl except for the milk and mix until evenly combined
- If needed, use the milk to loosen up the cream cheese until it has a dip/spread texture
- Spread the cream cheese over the entire surface of the tortilla in a thin layer
- Add enough veggies to fill tortilla, roll up, and cut into 2 inch slices to serve
Note: I made mine the night before and kept it in a sealed tupperware in the fridge – it held up wonderfully, didn’t get soggy, and was perfect for lunch the next day!