Le sigh… I can’t believe we’re already at Labor Day weekend. I am all for a 3-day weekend, but this one just means that my favorite season of all time is drawing to a close. Gone are the long days, warm beaches, and cold drinks. Now it’s already dark when I wake up and soon it’ll be frigid outside. I know there are people who are so pumped for all things cozy, #pumpkin, and fall, but I am not one of them. My goal is to savor as much of summer as possible!
There is at least one good thing about the end of summer: the plethora of summer veggies available and at their peak ripeness! I’m talking all the summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and corn you can handle! I was going to share a recipe for just a tomato sandwich, because tomatoes are seriously so good right now, but I though that’d be a little boring.
So I decided I wanted to jump on the zoodle (aka zucchini noodle) bandwagon for this recipe, but I don’t have a spiralizer. Instead, I used the mandolin to make really thin strips of zucchini then cut those into smaller pieces… and then I got impatient and just thinly sliced them myself. So what we have here is really more of a slaw but just as delish.
Zucchini with Roasted Summer Veggies
Prep Time: 20 min Serves: 4-6
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 zucchini
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (mine were the “artisan” variety with yellow, red, and purple tomatoes but any and all variety of fresh tomato will work)
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice peppers into 1″ chunks (or long strips would be good too)
- Toss with tomatoes on baking sheet with olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper
- Cook in oven for 20-30 minutes until tender, tossing halfway through
- While the tomatoes and peppers are roasting, thinly slice zucchini using a grater, mandolin, or spiralizer
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat olive oil and two cloves of minced garlic
- Add in zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes with salt and pepper so that zucchini is very lightly sauteed, turn heat down to low
- Once the roasted veggies are done, add all of the veggies and juices into the pan with the zucchini
- Toss together in the pan, serve warm with parmesan cheese and enjoy a nice summer evening