Happy Memorial Day everyone! What’re your plans for the long weekend? Going to the beach? Heading to a big city? Chillin’ out, maxin’, relaxin’ all cool? Whatever you do, take some time to remember the reason we have a 3-day weekend and honor those in our military who made the ultimate sacrifice. Spend time with your loved ones and have some fun!
Personally, I’ll be sitting my happy butt on the beach for most of the weekend, avoiding traffic as much as I can, and getting the grill fired up! If you’re cooking out too, I definitely recommend throwing some shrimp on the barbie (and no, I’m not sorry for saying that in my cheesiest Aussie accent). They’re quick to cook and most people I know are thrilled when seafood is on the table.
Pro Tip: when grilling shrimp, use two skewers instead of one. The shrimp like to do somersaults when you try flipping them on a single skewer; a second skewer will keep them in place so you can easily grill both sides.
I marinated my shrimp for about 30 minutes in olive oil, lime juice, garlic, red pepper, and salt to build up some flavor (remember to peel the shrimp before marinating… I maaaaaaaay have forgotten that part). I loved the spinach pesto I used with the pierogies last week, so I decided to make an avocado version while the shrimp were marinating to give it more of a southwestern twist.
These came together easily, leaving plenty of time for enjoying the beach! I served mine over jasmine rice to make it a meal. I hope you all have a chance to try them and have a lovely three day weekend – cheers!
Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Pesto Sauce
Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 35 min Serves: 4-6
- 1 lb bag of jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
For the sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- If you will be using wooden skewers, place them on a baking sheet and cover them in water – this will prevent them from charring on the grill
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw shrimp. Peel shrimp and place them in a large bowl
- Add remaining ingredients for the marinade and gently toss to evenly coat the shrimp. Cover and put in fridge for about 30 minutes
- While the shrimp are marinating, make the marinade
- Slice the avocado in half, remove pit and add to the food processor
- Add spinach, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper to the food processor
- On the low setting, start the food processor and drizzle in olive oil until you reach the desired consistency – set sauce aside
- Preheat grill to 300-350 degrees
- Remove the marinated shrimp from the refrigerator and skewer them using two skewers, about 6 shrimp for every two skewers
- When all shrimp are skewered, place them on the grill
- Cook cover for 2-3 minutes, open grill, and flip to cook the other side for 2-3 minutes more – the shrimp will be done when they are pink and opaque
- Remove shrimp from grill; you may either drizzle them with the pesto sauce or remove them from the skewers to toss them in the sauce to fully coat
- Serve to happy guests and enjoy!