Happy Friday y’all!! We’ve made it through another grueling week of work, and the weekend (and happy hour) is just hours away! I don’t know about you guys, but the week seems to take way longer to get through the nicer the weather gets. I just want to savor as much sunlight as possible and that’s tough to do in a cubical.
By the time I get home from work + the gym + any errands, I typically have about an hour of daylight left. The LAST thing I want to do is spend that hour in a hot kitchen, so I tend to make a lot of simple, easy meals.This salad totally fits the bill and as an added bonus there is zero hot stove required!
Depending on how quick you are at chopping veggies, this will come together in about 15 minutes – including the homemade dressing! This would be perfect for a picnic, as a side dish to some grilled chicken, on it’s own as a delicious salad, or even in a wrap or a pita if you’re feeling fancy. I was working with what I had on hand today, but I would totally recommend adding some orange bell peppers or some corn kernels, or even some queso fresco to give it an extra southwestern feel.
I hope you all have an opportunity to whip this up sometime soon, and definitely share with friends – maybe with some limey tortilla chips? Nom nom nom!
Southwestern Black Bean & Chickpea Salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
- For salad:
- 2 avocados, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (orange, yellow, or red could also be added and would make the salad SUPER pretty)
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, dice
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- For dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tsp salt
- Tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cilantro (optional)
- Combine all ingredients for dressing into a mason jar, put lid on, and shake well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. If you don’t have any jars available, you could also whisk the ingredients well in a bowl or use a food processor. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients for the salad, except for the avocados and lime juice, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, gently toss cubed avocado pieces with lime juice.
- Gently fold the avocados into the salad bowl, being careful not to break them up to much (as you can see in the photo above, my avocados were a bit too soft, so they created a kind of avocado sauce, but they are still tasty that way!)
- Shake or stir dressing one more time, then pour over salad and gently toss one more time to coat
- You may serve immediately, but if you have time cover the salad and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes to let the flavors get to know each other real well
- Enjoy! Preferably with friends, margs, and lime salted tortilla chips. Just saying…
PS: This will keep 3-4 days in the refrigerator, but the avocados will definitely be at their greenest the first day.